Entries to Chesterfield Half Marathon '˜suspended' after arrest of organiser
Entries to the Chesterfield Half Marathon have been temporarily suspended - following the arrest of organiser Mike Hyman on suspicion of theft.
Mr Hyman, 69, co-founder of Chesterfield-based charity Kids ‘n’ Cancer, which also organises the half marathon, was arrested last month with his wife June, 71.
The pair have been released on bail pending further enquiries.
A notice posted on the Chesterfield & Derbyshire Marathon Facebook states: “All current race registrations have been temporarily suspended please check back regularly and follow our Facebook and Twitter feeds for updates.”
Mr Hyman co-founded national charity Kids ‘n’ Cancer in 2010, based at The Bridge Business Centre on Beresford Way in Chesterfield.
The charity’s website - which is still not working - previously stated: “We assist children in the UK suffering from mass tumour cancers, to access potentially life-saving proton therapy treatment in the USA if appropriate to their condition.”
At the time of their arrest, a Charity Commission spokesman said: “Following the arrest of two individuals connected to the charity, including a trustee, the Charity Commission opened a statutory inquiry into Kids ‘n’ Cancer to assess serious concerns about its management and governance. As part of our investigation, we have frozen the charity’s bank accounts.”
Last month, a spokesman for Derbyshire police said: “Derbyshire police executed two warrants in Chesterfield and a 69-year-old man and a 71-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of theft.”
“They have been released on police bail pending further enquiries.”
The race is due to take place on Sunday, October 22.