Drink-driver caught in North Wingfield after trail of damage

editorial image

A drink-driver knocked over traffic cones on the M1 and was spotted by police driving at speed before smashing his wing mirror.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, January 13, how Harjeet Singh-Tiwana, 26, was first seen by other motorists dangerously weaving along the southbound carriageway of the M1 as he struck traffic cones.

Prosecuting solicitor Rod Chapman said: “Police were made aware of the defendant driving a Renault van as they received reports from other drivers that the vehicle was on the M1 and it was dangerously weaving in the road and struck a number of traffic cones.

“Police located Singh-Tiwana at North Wingfield, at about midnight, and the vehicle was being driven at double the 30mph speed limit.

“As it passed officers, Singh-Tiwana’s vehicle had a wing mirror clash with another vehicle coming in the opposite direction and both wing mirrors disintegrated.”

Police put on sirens and lights as they pursued Singh-Tiwana, according to Mr Chapman, as he swerved over the road and made a scraping sound caused by a large traffic cone trapped under the vehicle.

Mr Chapman added that after Singh-Tiwana stopped he almost fell out of the vehicle and stumbled into the road and he smelled of alcohol.

Police confirmed that following a roadside breath test he gave a reading at the police station of 72microgrammes of alcohol in 100millilitres of breath.

Singh-Tiwana, of Aldersley Road, Wolverhampton, pleaded guilty to exceeding the alcohol drink-drive limit after the incident on December 18, last year.

Defence solicitor Steve Brint said: “He was just over double the legal drink-drive limit.

“He is a delivery driver and he is aware losing his licence will affect his employment.

“On the evening in question he had finished work and visited a friend in Doncaster and he started drinking and he got a call about 10pm saying his child was unwell and he jumped in the car and set off for Wolverhampton.”

Magistrates fined Singh-Tiwana £346 and ordered him to pay £85 costs and a £34 victim surcharge.

He was also banned from driving for 18 months.