Derbyshire folk hit by O2 glitch – YOUR VIEWS

editorial image

Scores of O2 customers across Derbyshire have spoken out after the operator’s network controversially crashed yesterday.

Many mobile phone users are facing a second day of being unable to make or receive calls, send text messages or access the internet after the mobile phone firm suffered a fault on Wednesday lunchtime.

Dozens of Derbyshire Times readers who have been hit by the glitch have contacted us to share their experiences.

On our Facebook page, Leah Hollingworth said: “I’ve not had a connection for a good 20 hours. I need my phone too as I’m seven months’ pregnant. I’m not happy.”

Lisa Brocklehurst said: “My husband is a lorry driver who’s away all week. I haven’t spoken to him since yesterday morning.”

Jo Umney said: “It’s my sister’s only means of communication as she lives on a narrowboat.”

Samantha Elwell said: “It’s a nightmare. I’m not happy and no doubt I’ll still have to pay for the privilege of not being able to use my phone.”

Stu Middleton said: “Twenty-first century technology?!”

Christopher Spencer said: “One day without a phone signal. It was a bit stressful but not the end of the world.”

Craig Wheeldon said: “I’m sick of folk moaning. There are worse things than having no signal. We coped for thousands of years without one.”

Sandra Whittaker said: “Breaking news – just found out there is such a thing as a landline.”

Vicki Revell said: “These things happen. Give O2 a break, they will sort it.”

Some readers said they were affected yesterday but not today while others said they weren’t hit at all.

An O2 spokesman said: “We can confirm that the problem is due to a fault with one of our network systems, which has meant some mobile phone numbers are not registering correctly on our network.

“As a result, some customers are having difficulty making or receiving calls, sending texts or using data.

“We, and our central supplier, have deployed all possible resources and are working to restore service as soon as possible.

“We apologise to customers affected.”