Violent thug jailed for terrifying attack on girlfriend in South Yorkshire home

Liam Greenwood has been jailed for two years and three months
Liam Greenwood has been jailed for two years and three months

A violent thug who subjected his girlfriend to a terrifying 60 minute beating in front of her young daughter has been jailed.

Liam Greenwood, aged 28, committed a ‘thoroughly disgraceful sustained attack’ at his partner’s South Yorkshire home while her two-year-old daughter cried out for him to stop.

Sheffield Crown Court heard his victim has been left terrified by the ordeal and is scared of the affect it has had on her child.

Greenwood repeatedly kicked and punched the woman in the face, on her arms and in her ribs during the horrific one-hour ordeal.

Prosecutor Nicola Quinney said Greenwood, of Robinets Road, Greasbrough, Rotherham, had been in a relationship with the women since October 2014.

Greenwood assaulted the woman at her home and accused her of cheating with other men.

She fled to a friend’s house and when she returned the next day, she found ‘cheat’ painted on her bedroom wall.

Miss Quinney said Greenwood arrived at the property later the same day and climbed through a kitchen window as the woman was dialling 999.

She said: “She put the phone down her bra and was shouting at him to leave.

“He came towards her and punched her in the head and damaged the phone.

“The phone rang and she asked her friend to phone the police.

“The defendant grabbed the phone and punched her in the head three to four times and in the shoulder area.

“She asked him to stop and he began looking through the messages on her phone.

“He cornered her and punched her again three or four times and broke the television.

“She went towards her daughter and he grabbed her by her hair and pulled her to the floor where he punched her in the head.

“He said if he was going to go back to prison so he would give them something to go back to prison for.

“He kicked her in the ribs and stomach area. While this was happening her daughter was crying ‘no’.”

The court heard the assault temporarily stopped and the woman managed to call police, before Greenwood started punching her and kicking her again.

He then went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife, set of house keys and her mobile phone before leaving.

The woman suffered bruising and swelling to her face, arms and shoulder.

Miss Quinney said: “She estimates the attack lasted around an hour.”

A victim impact statement read out in court said the woman was left feeling scared and frightened and was worried the impact the attack has had on her daughter.

The court also heard Greenwood had breached a restraining order by contacted another former partner to arrange contact with his children.

Greenwood pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm, common assault, criminal damage and breach of a restraining order.

Richard Thyne, defending, said it was a ‘thoroughly disgraceful sustained attack’ which Greenwood is trying to make amends for.

Mr Thyne said he realises prison is the best place for him and hopes he can address physiological and mental health needs while in custody.

Judge Peter Kelson jailed Greenwood for two years and three months and made a restraining order against him, banning him from contacting the woman for five years.