Staveley man punched police officer trying to handcuff his friend in Chesterfield street

A Staveley man punched a police officer on the back of his head while he was restraining a friend on the ground following an altercation outside a Chesterfield nightclub.

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 5:37 pm
Updated Monday, 20th January 2020, 4:29 pm

Brett Holmes had been out drinking with friends when he claimed he had been punched by a bouncer before being ejected from the club in Corporation Street, on December 22.

Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court was told on Wednesday, January 15, that police had been called to the club for assistance.

Becky Allsop, prosecuting, said Holmes, 30, of Fern Avenue, had approached the group of officers and been pushed back by one officer, before leading him and the rest of the group he was with to the rear of a police van.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Corporation Street in Chesterfield, where the incident took place

An altercation had then broken out and a police officer had attempted to restrain one of Holmes’ friends, and Holmes had punched him on the back of the head. CS spray had also been used and the officer was left stunned by the combination of the stray and the blow, she said.

The officer was trying to handcuff the other mail on the ground when he received a full-force blow to the back of his head. And other officers and members of the public assisted,” she added.

Holmes admitted assaulting an emergency worker when he appeared before the court.

Mitigating, Lucy Hooper said: “He says that he was punched by a bouncer in the bar and he went to the police to try to explain that he had been attacked himself.

“Another officer then became involved and pushed Mr Holmes around to the back of the police van. It was handled quite poorly by the police officer and there was no need to push him.

“This conviction is going to have quite a detrimental impact on his life.

“He and his wife were also hoping to migrate to New Zealand, and because of this he may not be able to do this.”

Magistrates gave him a 12-month community order to include 80 hours of unpaid work and ordered him to pay £100 in compensation to the officer. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £90 victim surcharge.