Second drink-drive offence in four years

A Bradwell man who has been caught drink-driving for the second time in four years has been banned from the road for four years.

Police on duty on the evening of January 31 saw a Citroen Berlingo vehicle pull out of the Shoulder of Mutton pub in Bradwell and turn left towards Brough, High Peak Magistrates’ Court heard.

They followed the vehicle along Netherside and saw it weaving from side to side, prosecutor Jennifer Fitzgerald said.

They indicated for the vehicle to stop and spoke to the driver, Philip Stanley Wood, who they noticed smelt of alcohol.

They asked Wood if he had had a drink and he said he had had a pint, Mrs Fitzgerald said.

“They told the defendant in that case they would need a breath test from him and he replied ‘I’m done, you’ve got me,’” she added.

He provided a reading of 72, the legal limit is 35.

Wood, 62, of Netherside, Bradwell, admitted drink driving.

The court heard he had a previous drink-driving conviction from 2009.

Kirsten Collings, defending, said: “Philip Wood accepts he was the driver.

“He doesn’t seek to challenge the facts of the prosecution.

“He was compliant at the roadside and compliant at the police station and entered his guilty plea at the first opportunity.

“He had gone out without the intention to drive. He had a drink and was over the limit and made the foolish decision to get in the car and go what would have been a short distance had he not been stopped by the police.

“It is a decision he regrets. 
 “He said to me that he is ashamed of himself for letting himself down and his family down.

“It is right to say this is his second conviction within ten years.

“He anticipates a three-year disqualification.

“His personal circumstances are difficult. He is aged 62 and his wife is ill.

“He suffers from advanced prostate cancer which is terminal.

“He lives in rented accommodation and is dependant on Disability Living Allowance.”

She added that Wood had already completed a drink driver’s rehabilitation course but would like the opportunity to complete it again, if he was well enough to do so.

Wood was fined £110 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £20 surcharge.

He was also disqualified from driving for 48 months.

Magistrates also gave him the opportunity to reduce his ban by ten months if he successfully completes the drink-driver’s rehabilitation course.