Pair brought to justice after fracas

sp56888'Chesterfield Magistrates Court
sp56888'Chesterfield Magistrates Court

A couple has been given a chance by the courts after the woman was caught stealing meat and the man tried to obstruct police during her arrest.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Monday how Tara Gregory twice stole meat from a Co-op at North Wingfield and when she was traced to her home her partner Nicky Morland obstructed police during her arrest.

Becky Allsop, prosecuting, said: “Staff spotted Gregory placing items into her basket and leave without paying and a staff member went after her and the property was recovered.

“Two days later a staff member became aware of Gregory and meat was being put into her basket again and she made off.

“Police went to Gregory’s and her partner Morland’s home where she was arrested.”

The court heard how police had knocked on the couple’s door and when there was no answer they entered the property and found Gregory undressed so she was guided to another room.

Morland became so distressed, according to Mrs Allsop, he tried to force his way into the room.

Mrs Allsop said: “The officer put her foot against a door as Morland was trying to get in. The door struck the officer in her forehead and the door came off its hinges. The officer restrained Morland.”

Gregory, 23, of Hambleton Avenue, North Wingfield, Chesterfield, pleaded guilty to two thefts after the crimes in December. Morland, 29, of the same address, pleaded guilty to obstructing a police officer during Gregory’s arrest in December.

Matt Evans, defending Gregory, said she has been making progress with a drug problem. He explained she has lost family support after her father died and she stole to ease debts.

Mr Evans, defending Morland, said he had become distressed because he had wanted to know what was happening during his girlfriend’s arrest.

Morland was sentenced to a 12 month conditional discharge and was ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge and £20 costs and £50 compensation.

Gregory, who was praised for her efforts to wean herself off drugs, was given a two year conditional discharge and was ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge, £25 costs and £42 compensation.

Magistrates warned they could both be resentenced for these offences if they committed further crimes during their conditional discharges.