Man joyrides dad’s car into lamppost

A drunk cleaner stole his dad’s car and drove it into a lamppost in Buxton, a court heard.

Dale Kenny, 21, of Lathkil Grove, Buxton, admitted taking his father’s Fiat Panda without asking on 9th July and crashing it on the A6 Fairfield Road.

He also pleaded guilty to driving while over the limit and without insurance at a hearing at High Peak Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

John Cooper, prosecuting, said police found the blue car on a grass verge at a right angle to the road and with a wheel missing at about 1.45am.

At the scene, the defendant admitted to officers that the vehicle belonged to his father, Steve Kenny, who did not know he’d taken it, and that he wasn’t insured and was “pretty drunk”.

When tested, Kenny had 57 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 millilitres.

Mr Cooper told magistrates that Kenny had gone out with friends to Wetherspoons, on Fairfield Road, at about 9pm on 8th July.

His two friends missed their bus back to Chinley, so he said they could stay over at his house, and they left the pub about midnight.

The court heard that about an hour later, the girls said they couldn’t sleep and that he’d have to take drive them home.

He agreed, but on the way back from Chinley, he struck a curb and then a lamppost.

Kirsten Collins, defending, said: “He accepts he was the driver and to his credit he admitted everything when he spoke to police. What you can say about him breaking the law is it’s out of character. What isn’t out of character is that he often puts himself in the position to help others.”

She said that as a result of the incident, there had been “massive repercussions” and he had lost his job as a cleaner for Buxton Water.

Miss Collins told the court he lived at home with his parents and that as the vehicle taking counted as theft, Kenny’s father was able to claim on his insurance for the damage to his car.

Chairman of the Bench, Pam Ashton said: “It was a very strange sequence of events for a weekend out. You tried to do your friends a favour but the best favour you could have done would be to ring for a taxi.

“This was a stupid thing to do. You were very lucky no one was hurt. If you had had the accident on the way to Chinley, things could have been very different.”

He was sentenced to a community order consisting of a two-month curfew and 220 hours of unpaid work.

Kenny was also disqualified from driving for 16 months and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.