Loving Derbyshire dad’s money worry led to tragedy

editorial image

A loving husband and father killed himself over money worries, a court heard.

Glynn Holland, 50, disappeared from his Staveley home on September 12, 2013 – sparking a county-wide missing persons search.

But his body was found on railway embankment in Barrow Hill near the Foxglove junction on December 9.

Chesterfield Coroner’s Court heard how the father-of-two had spent ‘a substantial sum’ on gambling in the years running up to his death and had an addiction that he hid from his family.

Michelle Holland, Glynn’s wife, told today’s inquest: “Glynn wasn’t a worrier. I always did the worrying for both of us. He was always so laid back and relaxed, as long as me and the children were ok.”

She added: “He was all about his family. We did everything together. We only have happy memories of Glynn.”

Glynn, who worked at the Tesco Distribution Centre in Barlborough, was seen on CCTV at William Hill betting shop on the day he disappeared. He had been due to meet the bank to discuss taking out a loan.

The court heard when his body was found, by engineering geologist Robert Fisher, he was wearing the same clothes he was wearing on the day of his disappearance.

Dr Andrew Hitchcock, a forensic medical examiner, said that he couldn’t ascertain a cause of death, but he was found with electrical flex around his neck.

DC Alex Edwards, from Chesterfield CID, said: “Found at the scene was a tree branch which had electrical flex tied to it, near to where Glynn was found. That was found in situ, and was the same style to the cable found with Glynn. It looked like it had snapped.”

He said that Glynn’s bike which he was riding when he was last seen, his mobile phone, and his wedding ring have never been found.

Assistant coroner, James Newman, said Glynn was found with a note. He said: “It suggests Glynn being worried about financial problems and suggestive of a course of action he could take”.

He recorded a verdict of suicide when the balance of the mind is disturbed, and concluded that Glynn died as a result of suspension by ligature.