Heroin addict jailed after going berserk in hospital

Chesterfield Royal Hospital, Calow  'Main Entrance
Chesterfield Royal Hospital, Calow 'Main Entrance

A POORLY heroin addict who lashed out at hospital staff and a police officer who were trying to help him has been jailed for 24 weeks.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard how Christopher Rees, 47, of South Place, Chesterfield, had been admitted to Chesterfield Royal Hospital after suffering a series of epileptic seizures and he became verbally abusive and violent.

Angela Hadfield, prosecuting, said: “It was suspected Rees had been suffering severe seizures but he was reacting to heroin which he admitted taking and he became aggressive.

“He hit staff nurse Kathleen Turner, security officer Andrew Fanshawe and racially abused an Asian medical staff member and spat at a police officer.”

The court heard how Kathleen Turner was having difficulties because Rees was waving his arms around and she was struck in the face and while he was on a trolley he was racially abusive to a doctor.

Ms Hadfield explained that Rees also struck a security guard in the face with a leg as he was trying to restrain him before the defendant spat at a police officer.

Rees, who has previous convictions for violence-related matters, pleaded guilty to three assaults, racially aggravating behaviour and failing to surrender to bail after the incident in March.

He also admitted another assault after he had been in the hospital days later and swore at a nurse and struck her in the stomach.

Defence solicitor Felicity Clarke explained Rees had suffered 13 epileptic seizures when he was first admitted to hospital and he had developed the condition in 2004 due to drug abuse. She added that he could not remember committing the offences.

Magistrate Ms Boyle told Rees: “These offences were aggravated by the location which was a hospital and by the fact that the people you assaulted were public servants trying to help you while you were under the influence of drugs.”