Chesterfield man stabbed friend in buttock in dispute over drugs

A Chesterfield man who stabbed a friend following a dispute over drugs was today (Tuesday) jailed for 21 months.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 2:41 pm
Updated Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 2:56 pm
He was jailed for 21 months
He was jailed for 21 months

Jack Cryans turned violent after accusing Gary Screen of taking his share of a supply of mamba which they had bought.

He went on to stab Mr Screen in the buttock with a 10 inch long carving knife and then fractured his eye socket.

Esther Harrison, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court: "The defendant and the complainant had been friends and they were living at an address in Chesterfield.

"Both were drug users and both used mamba.

"Mr Screen had purchased mamba and they shared this together. Later in the day there was an argument. The defendant became agitated and accused Mr Screen of taking his share of mamba.

"The defendant ended up in the kitchen where he got a knife. Others were trying to calm him down but he ended up reaching round and stabbing Mr Screen making a small wound to the buttock.

"He was wrestled to the ground and the knife was taken off him. He was still agitated. He and Mr Screen were ejected from the property."

Outside of the property on Piccadilly Heights, Wain Avenue, Chesterfield, Cryans continued the attack leaving Mr Screen with a fractured eye socket.

Afterwards the two men went to an address on St Margarets Drive, Chesterfield looking for more mamba.

Inside the house Cryans was beaten up. He then fell asleep on the sofa.

Miss Harrison said "When he woke up he was agitated and making reference to wanting more mamba. He was told to leave."

The prosecutor said that when he was out of the house Cryans picked up a brick and threw it at the windows causing over £200 worth of damage.

Cryans, 23, of Greenfarm Close, Loundsley Green, admitted charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Mr Screen and criminal damage as a result of the incidents on 24 October last year.

Judge Simon Hirst, passing sentence, told him "Plainly these offences are so serious that only an immediate custodial sentence can be passed."

Gareth Gimson, in mitigation, said that at the time of the offences Cryans had been thrown out of his family home because of his drug taking but is now clean of drugs after being remanded in custody following his arrest..

Mr Gimson said that Cryans has since had a reconciliation with his family and has a home to go to when he is released.