Chesterfield couple attacked cops after fracas

Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Two revellers attacked police officers responding to reports of a New Year’s Eve fight at a Chesterfield pub.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard how Joshua Houghton and Rachael Bryan, of Cross London Street, New Whittington, Chesterfield, attacked the officers after an incident at the Bull’s Head pub, in New Whittington.

Prosecuting solicitor Mike Law said: “Police were called to the Bull’s Head after reports of a fight. Various people were outside the pub.”

Mr Law explained Houghton was shouting as he was detained by police he refused to calm down because he was concerned for his partner and he was initially arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Houghton was de-arrested to allow him to calm down, according to Mr Law, but as police took him to his home he pushed one of the officers.

Mr Law said: “The defendant’s co-accused Bryan had also been outside the Bull’s Head and she was restrained by police but she struck an officer on the arm.

“She was told to stop shouting and then bit an officer’s finger and kneed him in the testicles.”

Houghton. 27, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer on December 31, last year.

Bryan, 27, also pleaded guilty to assaulting two police officers during the same incident.

Defence solicitor John Wilford said: “It’s a matter that was completely out of character for Mr Houghton. When he was interviewed he had no memory of the incident. He had been drinking on New Year’s Eve and was upset because of what he had perceived to be happening to his girlfriend. He is apologetic.”

Mr Wilford explained Bryan had been trying to separate those involved in a dispute before police arrived.

He added: “There had been an incident and Miss Bryan was trying to separate the two warring factions but she was pushed to the ground and feared for her safety because she had a condition concerning her head. She had recently had an operation and she was quite emotional and as police grabbed her she tried to tell the police to be careful. If she had been calmer she wouldn’t have reacted as she did.”

In the hearing on on Wednesday, January 28, Houghton was sentenced to a 12 month community order with 100 hours’ unpaid work and he must pay £50 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge and £85 costs. Bryan was sentenced to a community order to last until June 17 with a 20 week curfew. She must pay £100 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge and £85 costs.