Clients’ health put at risk by Bolsover plumber

sp56888'Chesterfield Magistrates Court
sp56888'Chesterfield Magistrates Court

An unregistered plumber put the health of customers at risk by carrying out work without noticing faults – a court has heard.

Christopher Buck, of Mansfield Road, Hillstown, Bolsover, appeared in Chesterfield magistrates’ court on Thursday (November 27) to answer to charges that between December 2012 and February 2014, he carried out gas work at a number of properties without being registered with Gas Safe, as required by law.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in November 2013 revealed that Buck had serviced a boiler at a house in Inkersall but failed to carry out all the necessary safety checks.

He did not spot that pipe work was not properly sealed, which meant the boiler was unsafe and posed a potential risk to those living in the property.

The 39–year–old pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(3) and 26(9) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

HSE inspector Edward Walker said: “Mr Buck knew there was a requirement to be registered and that he should not have been carrying out the work, so there was a deliberate breach.

“Not only was he not registered but he did not take due diligence when it came to carrying out the safety checks as part of the boiler service.

“Subsequently, he was leaving the people in the property at risk.”

Russell Krämer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, commented: “It is a legal requirement for all engineers working on gas to be registered. By not doing so, they are putting people’s lives in danger.”

Buck was sentenced to six months in prison, suspended for 12 months, for both breaches, to run concurrently. He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work and to pay costs of £748. Buck re–registered with Gas Safe in February.