CHESTERFIELD: ‘Psychopath’ battered own pets

NDET 1-5-13 MC 1'Richard Canlin RSPCA case
NDET 1-5-13 MC 1'Richard Canlin RSPCA case

THIS is the evil face of a man who battered his dogs so ferociously that he tried to cover his cruelty by claiming they had been mangled by a car.

Richard Canlin, 34, pleaded guilty to causing “horrific” cruelty to two dogs after one was found dead in his cellar and another seriously injured.

Staffy-cross Leyla, found in Canlin's home.

Staffy-cross Leyla, found in Canlin's home.

Canlin, of John Street, Clay Cross, initially denied causing the injuries to his two Staffordshire bull terriers and claimed his dogs had been involved in a road traffic accident.

But a vet said the injuries had been deliberately inflicted and Canlin later admitted five charges, during a hearing at Chesterfield Magistrates Court on May 1.

The body of Daisy, a white Staffy, was found in a holdall in Canlin’s cellar last year.

She had suffered multiple head traumas and fractured ribs. Canlin was also charged with failing to provide veterinary care for an eye injury.

A second dog, Staffy-cross Leyla, was found four months later, cowering at the top of the stairs, suffering from head injuries.

The charges, of causing unnecessary suffering and failing to provide appropriate veterinary treatment, date from last April to October.

Brian Orsborn, prosecuting said the dogs had suffered deliberate blows to the head.

RSPCA inspector Nick Wheelhouse added: “This is an extremely horrific and disturbing case and it was horrendous to find the dog stuffed in a holdall and see blood on the floor.”

Felicity Clarke, defending, said Canlin suffered from psychopathic tendencies.

She added: “At the age of nine or ten he was in care due to violence in the family and his parents were not able to cope with his behaviour. From that age he had been hearing voices and having blackouts.”

Canlin said that he could not remember what had happened to the dogs but accepted he must have caused the injuries.

Miss Clarke added: “He feels terrible for what he has done and has now got to live with this for the rest of his life.”

The case was adjourned for a psychiatric report and sentencing on June 12.