More than 800 runners are preparing to take part in the inaugural Redbrik Chesterfield Half Marathon.
The 13-mile course will start and finish in Queen’s Park and go through the town centre, Hasland, Brampton and Ashgate on Sunday, October 22, starting at 9am. At the same time as the main event, the Peak FM Fun Run will also be held in Queen’s Park.
John Timms, events director at MLS Contracts Ltd, organisers of the event, said, “We’re extremely excited for the inaugural Redbrik Chesterfield Half Marathon, which we want to make into the region’s biggest community mass participation event.”
The half marathon was previously organised by Chesterfield charity, Kids ‘N’ Cancer.
But in April this year the Charity Commission opened a statutory inquiry into Kids ‘N’ Cancer and froze its bank accounts.
Founder and trustee of the charity, Mike Hyman, 69, was also arrested on suspicion of theft and is currently on bail.
Funds from the race will be raised for a number of good causes but primarily to support event charity partners – Chesterfield-based Ashgate Hospicecare and North Anston-based Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice.
Entries for the half marathon remain open until this Sunday (October 15). Entries for the Peak FM Fun Run are available up until the race.
Road closures on the day include:
* Boythorpe Ave 6am to 2pm
* Boythorpe Road 8.45am to 10am
* West Bar Roundabout 8.50am to 9:51am
* West Bar Roundabout - outside lane Chatsworth Rd - West Bars 9.30am to 1.05pm
* West Bars 8.15am to 1.05pm.
* Church Way 8.30am to 1.59pm
* Stephensons Place 8.30am to 10.05am
* St Mary’s Gate 8.30am to 1.07pm.
* Lordsmill Street 8.50am to 1.09pm.
* Lordsmill Roundabout 8.50am to 1.09pm
* Lordsmill Roundabout - A632 - Lordsmill St 8.50am to 2pm
* A617 (Lordsmill Roundabout to Hornsbridge) 8.50am to 1.13pm
* A617 (Hornsbridge to Temple Normanton Exit 4am to 12pm
* Hassocky Lane 6am to 1.52pm
* Mansfield Rd 6am to 1.54pm
* Furnace Hillock Way 6am to 1.37pm
* Hasland Road 6am to 1.37pm
* St Leonards Drive 6am to 1.46pm
* Spital Lane 6am to 1.49pm
* Hady Hill 8.15am to 3.16pm
* Hollis Lane 8.15am to 3.16pm
* Glumengate 9am to 12.04pm
* Rose Hill 9am to 12.04pm
See full list at: redbrikchesterfieldhalf.com/.