Chesterfield gasholders - built in 1826 - to be demolished
Two old gasholders in Chesterfield are to be demolished.
Chesterfield Borough Council has given National Grid planning permission to dismantle the redundant containers and associated infrastructure at the former gasworks site off Chatsworth Road.
The demolition project is expected to take place over a six-month period.
Documents submitted to the council by Indigo Planning - the agents for National Grid - state the land could be 'brought back into beneficial use' after the demolition work.
The documents add: "National Grid will seek to ensure that any perceived effects on adjacent properties - particularly housing and the allotments - is minimised through appropriate working practices and community engagement.
"National Grid will also demonstrate that it is a responsible neighbour and treat community matters with the highest regard.
"They will ensure that any potential effects on adjacent properties is minimised through appropriate working practices and community engagement.
"This will include engagement with neighbouring properties and commercial premises.
"The local community will be provided with information on the nature and content of the works in advance of commencement, with the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposals in addition to a dedicated freephone number and email address in the event of any queries during the course of the works."
The documents add: "The site access to the public highway will be taken through third party land to the east, namely the bingo hall car park.
"The timing and nature of vehicle movements will be agreed to limit any potential impact upon their operations."
Gasholders previously stored gas for distribution to the national grid.
It is now stored within the main gas system and kept at the necessary pressure to supply both the regional and local network.
According to Chesterfield Civic Society, Joseph Gratton, a respected Chesterfield dignitary, designed the gasworks which were built over a period of nine months in 1826 under his supervision.