CHESTERFIELD: E-cigarette linked to fatal care home blaze

Fire chiefs are linking the death of 68-year-old woman in a care home to an E-cigarette battery pack.

The heated battery caused material in the woman’s bedroom at Brookholme Croft, Hasland, to set on fire which led to an aerosol container exploding.

The fire took place on Sunday, October 13 just after midnight in a single bedroom in the residential nursing home.

Firefighters pulled Evelyn Raywood out of the blaze but she later died in hospital.

A joint fire investigation conducted by Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and Derbyshire Police concluded the cause of the fire to be accidental.

The cause was attributed to an E-cigarette battery components which caused materials within the bedroom to set on fire.

This led to a small fire which developed and caused an aerosol container containing highly flammable gas to explode.

The exact components of the E-cigarette are still under investigation.