Can you keep calm in crisis?

Latest news...
Latest news...

People who can keep calm in a crisis are being urged to sign up to be a Derbyshire Emergency Volunteer.

Derbyshire County Council set up the group just over a year ago to look after residents who have to be evacuated from their homes following major incidents such as fires, floods or gas leaks and to help vulnerable people during severe weather and health incidents.

Volunteers work alongside the county council’s emergency planning team, adult care staff and other agencies to make sure evacuees have what they need while staying in a rest centre - a building such as a leisure centre or village hall used during an evacuation.

The council currently has around 50 Derbyshire Emergency Volunteers but more recruits are needed to join the team.

Applicants should be aged 18 and over and live in Derbyshire. No special skills or qualifications are needed and full training is provided. Volunteers also need to have a DBS enhanced check - formerly a Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) check - to work with vulnerable adults and children and will be paid for expenses incurred during training or in response to an incident eg mileage.

Call 01629 538364, or email