Burglars were videoed breaking into a flat

Two burglars were caught red-handed stealing goods from a flat after they were spotted by eagle-eyed staff who videoed them from a pharmacy.

Thursday, 9th March 2017, 9:43 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:47 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, March 8, how Craig Dickson, 30, and William Pointon, 34, targeted a flat on Stubbing Road, Chesterfield, with an open window during an opportunistic crime as they were walking by the property.

Prosecuting solicitor Peter Bettany said: “The burglary was from a ground floor flat and items included a charm bracelet, aftershave, a watch, perfume and various other items taken by the two defendants.

“The property is opposite a pharmacy and staff there watched while the offenders were doing it and they were recorded on mobile phones and they left finger prints behind.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“One of the people watching knew Dickson and named him to police and both defendants were stopped further down the road and the stolen goods were recovered.”

Dickson, of Grangewood Crescent, Chesterfield, and Pointon, of Aspin Court, Birdholme, Chesterfield, pleaded guilty to the burglary which happened on March 6.

Defence solicitor Steve Brint said Dickson has been addicted to drugs and drink for some time and he had been taking illegal substances with drink although his drink issue is waning.

He added: “It was an opportunistic entry opposite a pharmacy and medical centre where Dickson goes and it was not the brightest thing to do.

“Dickson didn’t enter the building. He stood outside at a ground floor window and Pointon entered the building and low level items were put in a bag and Dickson put the bag on the ground.”

He added: “As Pointon left through an open window the police arrived and Dickson was a few yards away and was stopped with the bag.”

Mr Brint revealed that Dickson, who has 42 previous convictions, is still subject to post sentence supervision from a previous offence but he had not committed a burglary before until this latest crime.

He also explained that even though the incident was being videoed the footage was not suitable to be transferred but the police were alerted anyway and quickly arrived at the crime scene.

Defence solicitor Rob Sowter said a window had been open at the property and Pointon had made a rash decision and both defendants were caught in minutes.

Mr Sowter added that Pointon describes himself as an “on-off heroin user” but this is something he wants to move away from.

Magistrates sentenced Dickson to 16 weeks of custody suspended for 18 months and he was ordered to pay £85 costs and a £115 victim surcharge.

Pointon’s case was adjourned until March 13 so magistrates could consider a probation report before sentencing.