Boozed-up man is jailed after he had sexual activity with a girl in a pub toilet

A booze-fuelled reveller who had sexual activity with a girl aged under 16 in a pub toilet cubicle has been jailed for 21 months.

Wednesday, 1st August 2018, 9:22 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st August 2018, 9:28 am

Nottingham Crown Court heard on Friday, July 27, how Anthony Hurt, 32, of Raven Avenue, Tibshelf, had been seen and heard through the frosted glass of a cubicle of the ladies’ toilets at The Royal Oak, on High Street, at Tibshelf.

Prosecuting barrister Victoria Rose said the pub was closed but those known to the owners remained and the young girl, aged 15 at the time, was allowed to have alcohol which affected her greatly.

Hurt regained entry into the public house, according to Ms Rose, because a rear door was left open for smoking purposes and he was heard making a sexual remark about the youngster.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pictured is Nottingham Crown Court.
Pictured is Nottingham Crown Court.

Ms Rose said: “There was no prior connection. They did not know each other and there is nothing to suggest the complainant would knowingly or willingly engage with him in sexual activity.”

Witnesses confirmed Hurt went to the ladies’ toilets and one witness heard voices and moaning sounds from a cubicle described as sounding like people having sex.

Ms Rose added: “She looked into the cubicle with frosted glass and saw a male thrusting back-and-forth and making groaning sounds.

“She alerted others and Mr Hurt was found in the cubicle.”

The girl was later seen sat in the cubicle looking like a “rag doll” with her trousers pulled down and she was crying, according to Ms Rose.

Ms Rose added: “She quickly became hysterical. Her clothing was in disarray and she was uncharacteristically dishevelled and was heavily intoxicated.

“Others were annoyed at Mr Hurt’s actions and he was assaulted at the scene and left before the arrival of the police and he didn’t know what was happening.”

The court heard there was no positive evidence that any sexual intercourse or touching had taken place and the complainant could not recall details about the incident.

Hurt also told police he could not remember anything because he had consumed 15 pints and shots and had taken cocaine.

However, Hurt, who has no previous convictions, pleaded guilty to causing or inciting a girl, aged between 13 and 15, to engage in sexual activity between December 5 and 6, in 2015.

His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, stated that the offence has had a huge impact on her life.

She added: “It’s robbed me of my innocence, self esteem and dignity.”

The complainant added that she lost friends and struggled with school and her GCSEs and the incident created problems with her family.

She added that she was reduced to self-harming and has suffered with depression and panic attacks.

The complainant stated: “I am trying to move on but I feel like it’s changed my life forever.”

Defence barrister Tony Stanford said: “It was difficult for him to accept doing such utterly abhorrent things to a young girl and he is utterly ashamed of his behaviour but simply cannot recall anything about it.”

Mr Stanford added that Hurt has not formed any relationships since because he feels shame and embarrassment.

He added: “The root cause of this offending is drink and to a minor extent the use of cocaine that night.”

Judge John Burgess sentenced Hurt to 21 months of custody and made him subject to the sex Offenders’ Register for ten years and he is barred from working with children.

Hurt was also given an indefinite restraining order banning him from contacting the complainant.

The defendant was also given no separate penalty for possessing the class A drug cocaine.