Contractors have issued a formal apology to Derbyshire Dales residents after the “shambolic” rollout of a new waste and recycling service.
The apology came after Cllr Colin Swindell, who represents the Winster and South Darley ward, called for contractors Serco to address residents’ concerns after the introduction of its new scheme.
Cllr Swindell said: “Since the contract came in I’ve had endless calls from my constituents about collections not happening and in some areas people haven’t had their bins emptied for over five weeks.
“To make matters worse, nobody with concerns can even get through to the council to report them as they are already inundated with complaints.
“One day alone I received over 50 complaints personally,” he added.
Constituents have also reported that waste lorries have damaged properties, rats are thriving on uncollected waste and some residents are still awaiting their new containers altogether.
Cllr Swindell said: “I want to know why things have gone so wrong and what is being done by Serco to resolve the problems we are experiencing.
“So far this roll out has been absolutely shambolic.”
Owing to Cllr Swindell’s concerns, Derbyshire Dales District Council have agreed to hold a meeting on Tuesday, November 6, and have requested a Serco representative to attend.
Serco director Mike Boult said: “We would like offer our sincere apologies to the residents of Derbyshire Dales who have been experiencing problems with the rollout of the new waste and recycling service.
“We also regret the impact this has had on the staff of Derbyshire Dales District Council who have worked tirelessly to respond to residents’ complaints and can confirm that Serco will meet all necessary costs to ensure this service is brought up to date.”
Mr Boult added that Serco staff have worked weekends in a bid to clear the backlog of missed collections and have set extra vehicles on to clear outstanding recycling containers.
l Are you affected by this story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.