Since CBD was legalised in the UK in 2018, the industry has exploded throughout the nation – and it isn’t hard to figure out why.
Praised by users for its ability to help soothe a range of ailments - from chronic pain and anxiety to insomnia and depression - the food supplement is bringing welcome relief for all kinds of difficult conditions.
And as the industry grows, more and more products are hitting the market - from capsules to mouth sprays - each seemingly more innovative than the last. But the top form of CBD for many users? Edible CBD gummies.
Presented in shapes from worms to bottles, and devoid of the bitter taste carried by some hemp products, gummies offer a tasty, quick, discreet way to consume CBD.
What exactly is CBD, and will it get me high?
CBD - full name cannabidiol - is a cannabinoid found in the flowers, leaves and stalks of the hemp plant. Like marijuana, hemp is part of the cannabis family. However, it contains much lower levels of the cannabinoid ‘THC’, the compound responsible for the psychoactive effects that marijuana brings.
While trace levels of THC are present in hemp, CBD products themselves have to contain less than 0.2 per cent THC to be sold legally in the UK. This means CBD products don’t have any intoxicating properties.
What should you look for in a high-quality CBD gummy?
- Broad spectrum CBD vs isolate Along with CBD and trace levels of THC, there are many other cannabinoids present in the hemp plant. They can harmonise with CBD to create a stronger beneficial effect on the human body, also known as the ‘entourage effect’. Whether or not your gummies have these extra cannabinoids depends on which type of extract is used. ‘Broad spectrum’ means these cannabinoids have been kept in the dose, but ‘isolate’ means they’ve been stripped out entirely, so you’re just consuming pure CBD.
- Dosage Before parting with your cash, check how much CBD you’re getting in each gummy. The amount tends to vary between about 5mg and 50mg, with the FSA recommending that users take no more than 70mg a day. The price of your gummies should reflect the dosage of CBD you’ll receive. Of course, be sure to check with your medical professional before diving in.
- Independent analysis Before they’re available to buy, products should be independently tested to check that the claims on the label match up to the product you receive. You should be able to find the results of this test on the brand’s website.
- Ingredients Some gummies are stacked with artificial extras and unexpected fillers, so if you have certain dietary requirements, or you’re concerned about the ‘cleanliness’ of your dose, you should scan the ingredients list to check what you’ll be chewing alongside your CBD.
8 CBD gummies to consider in the United Kingdom in 2022
1. CBII CBD Gummies - 30 Pack - £34
CBII’s brightly coloured, soft jelly gummies come in a glass jar that’s brimming with 30 sweet cubes. Every effort has been made to keep these gummies as clean as possible: there are no artificial preservatives, and the colours are extracted from natural ingredients like turmeric, beetroot and carrot.
The CBD itself is made using hemp grown in Oregon, which is one of the most reputable and strictly regulated markets in the world. By the time they’ve reached the shelf, the gummies have been tested a total of five times, ensuring top quality and consistency. Third party lab test results can be readily found on CBII’s website.
But it’s CBII’s patented extraction process - said to be cleaner than alternative methods - that establishes the brand as one of the best. This method is also gentler, preserving important parts of the plant for an extract that stays as close to nature as possible.
You’ll get a mix of four different flavours in each jar: watermelon, tangerine, lemon, and raspberry. The flavours come through light and sweet, with no hint of botanical or herbal aftertastes that can be common with some CBD products.
At £34, CBII’s gummies provide an excellent product at great value for money.
2. Cannaray CBD Gummies - 30 pack - £18
If you’re looking for a lower dosage, Cannaray’s gummies could be a good choice. The citrus-flavoured discs come with 10mg of CBD isolate – a factor that means the CBD is working without the support of additional cannabinoids.
The gummies are vegan, free of sulphates, and are non-GMO. Furthermore, Cannaray’s gummies are triple lab tested, with the analysis readily available on the product page to provide ease of mind.
3. Zen Bears CBD Gummies - 30 pack - £39.95
At 20mg per gummy, Zen Bears’ dose isn’t the highest on our list, but a devoted fan base classes the brand’s gummy bears - the only product in its range - as being up there with the best. Like CBII’s gummies, these bears are fully vegan, and free of artificial ingredients.
Undeniably one of the gummies’ best features is their taste and texture, which closely mimic that of a regular gummy bear. However, these gummies are pharmaceutically coated with broad spectrum CBD. The coating method means that if you chew or suck the bear for around a minute before swallowing, the CBD will diffuse in the membranes of your mouth. This can mean you’ll feel the effects of your dose more quickly.
4. Eden’s Gate High Strength CBD Gummies - 25 pack - £44.99
Another bear-shaped option, Eden’s Gate’s bears come in two strengths - 20mg and 10mg - and feature a light sugar coating.
Regular users rave about the taste, and the health benefits they’ve felt with regular consumption of the gummies: think reduced anxiety and alleviation of chronic pain.
Full lab analysis can be found on Eden’s Gate’s website.
5. Orange County CBD Gummy Cherries - 8 pack - £10
If you’re only looking to buy a few CBD gummies at once, Orange County’s grab bags could be a good choice. They come in a range of flavours and shapes, from bottles to fruits to cubes. The cherries are our favourite option, striking a good balance between sweet and tart.
With just eight cherries in the bag, and setting you back £10, they aren’t the most cost-effective choice in the long run. However, with 25mg of broad-spectrum CBD per sweet, they come packed with a decent CBD kick. Orange County displays third party lab results on its website, with triple lab testing ensuring quality and consistency from gummy to gummy.
6. CBDistillery CBD Gummies - 30 pack - £60
If you’re looking for a CBD isolate option that packs a heartier dose, CBDistillery could be a good choice i although their gummies are significantly more expensive than some other options on the list.
Each jar comes with 30 gummies, and 25mg of CBD isolate is packed into each cube. Flavours include raspberry-lemon, strawberry, and raspberry, with an ingredients list that’s allergen-free, gluten-free and vegan.
7. Koi Hemp Extract CBD Gummies - 20 pack - £9.99
With a product range that covers all manner of CBD products - from pet treats, to inhalers, to gels - it’s no surprise that Koi offers an appealing broad-spectrum gummy.
The discs are simple in appearance but come in both regular and sour versions and contain 10mg of broad-spectrum CBD per sweet. While this is a lower dosage than most alternatives on this list, it could be a good choice if you like to spread your dosage throughout the day.
Each bag comes with a mix of lime, tangerine, and acai pomegranate flavours, with a certificate of analysis available on the brand’s website.
8. Indica Beauty CBD Gummy Worms - 20 pack - £20
Indica Beauty’s three-toned pastel gummy worms look like they’ve been plucked straight from a sweet shop – and with a strong fruity flavour gleaned from natural sources like white grape juice, they taste like it too.
The 400mg tub comes with 20 worms at 20mg of broad-spectrum CBD per worm, but there are various tub sizes and strengths available.
The worms are also vegan and gluten free, with lab results available on Indica Beauty’s website.