Jamie spurred on by title shot

Jamie Robinson v Michael Stupart 13/12/13
Jamie Robinson v Michael Stupart 13/12/13

Bolsover boxer Jamie Robinson says last month’s defeat at the hands of stubborn journeyman Michael Stupart has served only to spur him on in his professional career.

The Ginger Rocket felt he’d done enough to take the fight on points, however, and was stunned when the referee raised his opponent’s hand.

“Everyone I’ve spoken to thought I had won, but the referee didn’t,” he said. “I’m motivated more than ever before because it should not have happened. I’m ready to come back and prove to everyone I’m a good boxer and belong on the professional stage.”

Robinson, who still stands with an impressive four wins from five since turning pro, is back in training ahead of a British Masters Bronze title fight on March 8, 2014.

The 22-year-old light welterweight heads the bill for the Battle of Britain at the Doncaster Dome where he will go toe-to-toe with Newark’s Fergus Taylor for the unmanned belt.

Taylor boasts a 100 per cent record in his pro career, having won four from four.

“It’ll be another good test for me, we’re going eight rounds which is the longest scheduled so far but I’m aiming to go 12 soon enough,” said Robinson, who believes he’s learned a lot from the December disappointment to Stupart in Sheffield.

He added: “I know I don’t need to go out and have a brawl every time. I’m listening to my team, learning as I go and ready for this one.”

Tickets are on sale and a bus from Bolsover is available. Contact 07990 575583 for more information.