Bucks bow out of cup in extra time

Doodson Sport Cup

Rainworth MW 2.............

Buxton 0..........................

(AET, 0-0 after 90 mins)

IN THEIR eighth away cup tie of the season, Buxton bowed out of the Doodson Sport Cup on Tuesday evening after conceding two goals in the first half of extra-time.

Sandwiched between two very important league games on consecutive Saturdays, the cup tie prompted wholesale changes in Buxton’s line-up as several regulars were rested.

The recently-injured duo of Kallum Keane and Michael Towey were given starts, as was striker Lee Morris, returning from suspension, and recent substitute Kieran Lugsden, with centre-half David Haggerty the captain for the night.

Six of the club’s successful under-19 side were starters, with John Stanway and John Ollerenshaw debutants, and all gave a good account of themselves.

Division One (South) side Rainworth enjoyed a majority of possession in all four periods of the tie but once the newly-constructed visiting defence had settled to its task, the home side found clear chances few and far between.

Openings were rare at the other end too, but an 88th-minute chance that could have won the tie was missed. Morris put Lugsden clear but his 18-yard drive was still rising as it cleared the bar.

When Rainworth responded, Stanway made his second excellent save of the evening, using a foot to divert a low goal-bound shot.

However, in extra time the home side produced two well-taken goals that gave the young keeper no chance.

In the 99th minute Lee Cooksey sent a powerful diving header from a right-wing cross low into a corner of the net, and five minutes later home progress in the competition was ensured when Ryan Goward netted with a swerving, dipping 25-yard shot.

Even then Stanway made another fine save to deny substitute Claxton.

Early in the proceedings, however, it was the crossbar which intervened but Goward’s close-range effort bounced out of play.

When the Bucks responded, Keane made a strong run out of defence, Jack Bradbury set-up Lugsden who went close with a 20-yard curling shot.

Kieran Walker’s long throws proved a regular threat to the visitors who nonetheless defended well and the pattern of the match was much the same throughout the second half.

So for manager Martin McIntosh there were certainly positives to be derived but negatives too as there were unwanted cautions for Roberts and Towey and an unfortunate injury to Neil Stevens, who slipped and twisted on the wet, well-grassed surface.

Buxton: Stanway, Ollerenshaw, Haggerty (Roberts, 66), Keane, Johnson, Lugsden, Towey, Heywood, Ballington (Stevens, 65 (Duncum, 79)), Morris, Bradbury. Unused substitutes: Maxfield, Deakin.

Attendance: 78.