Match report: Chesterfield 4 Cheltenham 1

Have your say

CHESTERFIELD made it back to back wins for only the second time this season with a 4-1 win over high-flying Cheltenham.

Chris Atkinson got the ball rolling for Paul Cook’s men who were in buoyant mood following Saturday’s come-from-behind win over Oxford.

Sam Togwell, Marc Richards and Jack Lester secured the points for the Spireites who maintain their extraordinary undefeated record over Tuesday night’s visitors to the Proact.

Kaid Mohamed scored for the Robins but they never looked like matching Chesterfield’s energy as the hosts hurried and harassed throughout.

Paul Cook handed Marc Richards a first start in two months in replace of Scott Boden, who didn’t even make the bench, while new recruits Jay O’Shea and Conor Townsend were named substitutes.

Brennan Dickenson had the first chance of the game after skipping past two down the left but, after doing the hard work, blazed over from an acute angle six yards out.

And the hosts didn’t have to wait too much longer for the breakthrough. A good interchange between Tendayi Darikwa and Richards found the winger in acres of space.

Darikwa looked up and found Chris Atkinson free inside the box. The midfielder had time to pick his spot and fire the ball past Scott Brown diving low to his right to give Chesterfield the lead.

Cook continued to bark orders from the touchline as his side continued to look comfortable on the ball.

But Cheltenham began to find their feet and peppered Tommy Lee’s goal with a flurry of long range shots. Their best effort of the half came through Marlon Pack’s speculative free-kick but the Chesterfield ‘keeper was equal to it and collected the ball easily.

The hosts almost caught Cheltenham on the break when Darikwa’s pull back found Dickenson, but the winger’s tame shot was pounced on by Brown.

Chesterfield then doubled their lead just before the break through Sam Togwell. Darikwa’s thunderbolt was palmed onto the bar and the midfielder was there to put the ball in with a diving header.

The Spireites came out for the second half fired up and looking to extend their advantage with Drew Talbot, Dickenson and Danny Whitaker all trying their luck from distance.

It was the visitors who scored next, however, when Kaid Mohamed rose unchallenged to head Billy Jones’ corner past Lee.

Chesterfield responded immediately when Dickenson bulldozed his way through a couple of challenges and threaded the ball through to Richards, who lashed the ball down the centre of the goal to restore the host’s two-goal advantage.

Cook then introduced Luis Boa Morte and Jack Lester into the action, along with Chris Clay, to steady the ship.

And it was Lester who grabbed the fourth with his first touch of the game, connecting with Boa Morte’s right wing cross to seal a 4-1 win.

Spireites (4-4-1-1): Lee; Talbot, Smith, Cooper, Hird (c); Darikwa, Dickenson (Boa Morte 68), Togwell, Atkinson; Whitaker (Clay 62); Richards.

Subs not used: O’Donnell, O’Shea, Townsend, Lester, Forbes.

Robins (4-2-3-1): Brown; Lowe, Jones, Elliott, Bennett (c); Pack, Carter (McGlashaw 45); Penn, Mohamed, Zebroski (Duffy 78); Goulding (Harrad 66).

Subs not used: Deering, Roberts, Andrew, Hanks.

Referee: Graham Salisbury.

Att: 4,333 (128).

Bookings: Zebroski 20, Bennett 90; Talbot 32