Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care on Bonfire Night.
Station manager Alan Richmond said: “Bonfire night should be a time of enjoyment and spectacle but the fire service continues to see devastation at this time of the year.
“Fireworks are dangerous devises that can cause major injuries and can even be fatal so this year why not consider attending an organised event.
“There are plenty to choose from and you and your family will be able to enjoy the show in safety.”
If you are considering having a bonfire party at home, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the following important safety advice:
Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114;
Don’t drink alcohol if you’re setting off fireworks;
Keep fireworks in a closed box;
Follow the instructions on each firework;
Light fireworks at arm’s length, using the taper provided;
Stand well back;
Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off it could still explode;
Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them – it is a criminal offence to throw a firework in the street or in a public place and carries a maximum fine of £5,000 under the Explosives Act 1875;
Always supervise children around fireworks;
Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves;
Never give sparklers to a child under five;
Keep pets indoors;
Don’t set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11pm;
Take care around open flames such as bonfires and barbecues. All clothes, even those labeled ‘low flammability’, can catch fire.
Should be at least 18 metres (60ft) away from houses, trees, hedges, fences or sheds;
Use domestic firelighters;
Never use petrol, paraffin or other flammable liquids;
Before lighting, check for animals and children;
Never put used fireworks, aerosols, foam-filled furniture, batteries, tins of paint or tyres on a bonfire.