Eyam Museum has been in existence in the plague village since 1994. In that time it has expanded and improved its displays whenever funds were available.
This spring it is very excited to announce the opening of its brand new display area which it has called Eyam Connections.
The original displays, which tell the story of the outbreak of Bubonic Plague in Eyam in 1665 and 1666 and the selfless reaction of the villagers to this devastating disease, are still the backbone of the museum but it has filled its new exhibition space with displays.
These include the prehistory of the area, a mannequin dressed as a plague doctor, and a display of old medical instruments loaned by a local doctor, display boards with information and illustrations on 17th century medicine and dentistry.
It also includes a digital photographic display showing how some of the buildings in Eyam have changed over the last 100 years.
The museum is open every day from 10am until 4.30pm, except Mondays, with the last entry at 4.00pm. It does open on Monday if it is a Bank Holiday.
The admission charge is £2.50 for adults, £2.00 for children and concessions and a family ticket is £7.50 (2 adults, 2 children).
The number of school parties who visit the museum each season demonstrate the interest those dramatic events in Eyam still have almost 350 years later.
The village is a great place for a family day out with not only the museum to visit but also for walks suitable for all ages, with free car parking, St Lawrence’s Church, a pub and tea rooms and a brand new play area for younger children.