Man seriously injured after gas cylinder explodes in garage

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

A Derbyshire man suffered burns and a garage was ablaze following a gas canister explosion yesterday.

On 29th March at 4.30pm Derbyshire firefighters were mobilised to The Wirskworth Road area of Kirk Hallam, along with colleagues from Ilkeston Fire Station. This was a report of a fire in a detached garage and an explosion where cylinders were involved.

A spokesperson said: "When we arrived the fire was out leaving one male occupant with burns to his arms and face and serious damage to the detached garage."

A Hazardous Materials and Environmental Protection Officer (HEMPO) attended the scene with specialist gas monitoring equipment and a structural engineer was requested to make the garage safe.

Firefighters added: "We used first aid equipment to treat the male and made the area safe. The male occupant was conveyed to hospital by East Midlands Ambulance Service with burns to his arms and face; his injuries are not thought to be life threatening."