The daughter of an ex-sweet factory worker who died of an asbestos-related disease wants her mother’s former colleagues and neighbours to share information as they may hold vital clues as to how and why she came into contact with the deadly dust.
An inquest has been adjourned so that Linda Hunt’s family can carry out further investigations as to why the 66-year-old died from asbestos-related cancer, mesothelioma, last December.
Her daughter Joanne Lowde, 42, has instructed specialist industrial illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate and help provide answers as to exactly how her mother became exposed to deadly asbestos dust.
Linda, whose maiden name was Dent, started working at the Trebor sweet factory in Chesterfield after she left school although very little is known about the working conditions and whether there was asbestos in the building.
When Linda was 20, she moved to Creswell’s Model Village where she lived until about 1975 and then again from 1979 to 1992. The area was built in 1985 to house the workers of Creswell Colliery and their families.
In the early 1970s, new kitchens and bathrooms were fitted in the houses in the Model Village. It is believed that the previous kitchens and bathrooms, which were replaced in 2001, may have contained asbestos materials.
Now, Joanne and her lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are appealing for Linda’s ex-colleagues and neighbours to come forward to help piece together information about the conditions at the Trebor factory and during refurbishments at the Model Village.
Joanne, who still lives in Creswell, said: “Hopefully people will be able to help us so that we can try and get answers about how she was exposed to asbestos.”
If you have any information, contact Simone Hardy at Irwin Mitchell on 0114 274 4420.
Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org.