A WHEELIE bin blaze closed a Retford street in the early hours of Monday morning.
Fire crews were called to West Street near its junction with Carolgate at around 3am on 25th February, where a bin was on fire outside a hair salon.
It was also dangerously close to a gas supply.
A man who was in the flat above the shop at the time, was alerted by his smoke alarms and managed to escape from the property unharmed.
The area was cordoned off while crews from Retford and Worksop worked to extinguish the flames.
And the National Grid attended to isolate the gas supply.
Police are investigating the incident, as it is thought the fire may have been started deliberately.
• For more on this story and pictures from the scene see this week’s Retford Guardian - out Thursday