The fire service has thanked workers at a Darley Dale forge for their efforts to tackle a factory blaze.
Crews from Matlock, Bakewell and Wirksworth were called to Firth Rixson, in Dale Road North, shortly before 3pm on Friday.
Joined by the aerial ladder platform from Chesterfield fire station, firefighters tackled the fire, which started in the flu of the drop forge, for three hours.
Station manager Alan Richmond, who was incident commander at the time, explained that Firth Rixson works at very high temperatures and a fire had started in a chimney, which then spread to the roof.
“The roof was a sandwich panel construction with thermal board in the middle and the fire had gone into the space between the panels,” Mr Richmond said.
Firth Rixson staff used their specialist knowledge and a cherry picker to get to the roof and cut it away. Together the firefighters, they worked to ensure the fire did not spread.
Mr Richmond added: “Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to thank the management of Firth Rixson for cooperating and assisting, because whenever we take up something like that we always want someone with specialist knowledge.”
Commenting on Facebook, John Dunsby, who lives near the plant in Darley Dale, said: “I had a window open and my room filled with acrid smoke, it still smells a bit now!”
Hilary Backhouse, who lives opposite Firth Rixson, added: “The only way we knew something was happening was seeing the fire engines.”
Julie Walters commented: “All the staff was outside but saw no fire. Everything was very calm.”
For information and advice on fire safety in the workplace, visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk/fire-safety-at-work-and-other-places