This year sees the 100th anniversary of the construction of the Methodist Chapel on New Road, Barlborough.
A special service is to be held at 11.00am on Sunday 24th February at the Chapel. The service is to be led by Rev Vernon Marsh, Chair of the Sheffield District of the Methodist Church. The congregation will be pleased to welcome visitors and anyone with a past association with the Chapel either personally or through family connections.
At the end of the service the Rev Vernon Marsh will be planting a Viburnum tree at the front of the Chapel to commemorate the event. The tree planting will be followed by refreshments which will include a cake specially decorated for the celebration.
In 1820 Barlborough had a local preacher Jeremiah Gilbert but no purpose built place of worship. In 1851 Methodists were meeting in a hired room with seating for 40 and a congregation of 55 according to census Sunday. There are further records of small Chapels in 1870 and in 1895 but it was not until 1913 that the current Chapel was built. The stone laying for the Chapel is pictured.
Presently the Chapel is completing the refurbishment of its School Room building. The redevelopment has made the building accessible for disabled users and nursing mothers. The School Room building is already used by a number of groups from across the community. It is hoped that the creation of these new more modern facilities will make the resource more attractive for other groups and individuals wishing to hire the venue.
The congregation gratefully acknowledge funding for the School Room refurbishment from Bolsover Methodist District, Sheffield Methodist District, Viridor Credits, La Farge Aggregates, Banks Community Fund, The Garfield Weston Foundation, members of the congregation and a number of friends from within the community.