A large fire broke out at the derelict Coalite factory site with the first floor workshop being engulfed in flames.
Fire crews from Staveley and Bolsover were called to the fire shortly after 10pm on Friday.
The building has been disused since 2004 after the toxic former site off Buttermilk Lane, Shuttlewood, shut down.
The fire covered an area 60 metres by 20 metres and one hose reel jet was used.
Coalite, which once produced smokeless fuels, was first opened in April, 1937, and at that time it was considered to be the largest works site of its type in the world.
This fire comes just two months after North East Derbyshire District Council granted outline planning permission to Bolsover Land Ltd to redevelop the land and build more than 650 homes and community facilities including a school and play areas.
The stop message for the fire was received at 10.54pm and Derbyshire police has been contacted to see if they are investigating the matter however, no information was given.