Fire broke out at Chesterfield home with baby and child inside

editorial image

A baby and a child were among several people inside a Chesterfield house when a fire broke out in the early hours of this morning (October 1).

Firefighters said the blaze started after an adult returned from a night out, put a chip pan on, made a drink and then fell asleep – leaving the pan unattended.

As a result, the fire broke out in the home, in York Street, at around 1.35am but, according to Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, working smoke alarms meant the people inside the property had a “lucky escape”.

A spokesman for the service said: “Following a night out with friends and family, one adult returned to the property and decided to have something to eat and drink. After putting the chip pan on, the adult then made a drink, but then fell asleep leaving the chip pan to start a fire in the kitchen.

“Thankfully the property was fitted with a working smoke alarm, which alerted a five-year-old boy to the fire. The boy raised the alarm and the adults were able to extinguish the fire and evacuate the property before the arrival of fire crews.

“A large part of the property, including the kitchen, was smoke damaged with smoke affecting several people who were taken by ambulance to hospital, to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Station manager Andy Lee said: “Thankfully a working smoke alarm was able to raise the alarm and wake a young boy who alerted the adults of the fire.

“As a fire and rescue service we continue to promote the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted on every level of the home.

“I cannot stress enough the lifesaving importance of smoke alarms, and on this occasion, they have proved to do the job they are designed for and potentially saved several lives.”

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind people of the following safety information: Ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every level of the home – check it is working weekly. Also ensure you have a planned and practiced escape route, that everyone in the house is aware of, and never leave cooking unattended – particularly if using a chip pan. If returning hungry after a night out, grab a takeaway – never cook after consuming alcohol.

For more information about keeping safe visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk.

You can also follow @DerbyshireFRS on Twitter and Like Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service on Facebook for regular fire safety advice and information.