Display back with a bang

sp71043'Bolsover Castle Firework Display 2008
sp71043'Bolsover Castle Firework Display 2008

REVELLERS will be delighted to learn that Bolsover Castle’s fireworks display is to return after it was cancelled two years ago.

English Heritage, which runs the castle, has announced it will be reviving the event on Friday, November 4, with a dramatic display to classical music.

Events manager Lucy Hutchings, of English Heritage, said: “We’re thrilled to bring fireworks back to Bolsover Castle because it is such a wonderful venue to watch a display with its hilltop setting.”

Bolsover District Council previously organised the fireworks spectacular at the castle for 20 years and attracted thousands of revellers but the event was cancelled after a dispute with English Heritage over its timing.

English Heritage had wanted to move it from its former date in October closer to November 5 to allow for Halloween events but the council had wanted to keep the original date to avoid clashes with other displays.

However, a district council spokesman said: “We welcome the return of any event that promotes the town and district and brings the community together.”

This year’s event includes Guy Fawkes’ Gunpowder Plot performances and music.

The castle will be illuminated and there will be a bonfire and costumed characters will including Gunpowder plotters, Peterkin the Jester, an executioner with tales of gruesome punishments.

The event runs from 6pm to 9pm and the fireworks display begins at 7pm with refreshments.

Those interested are urged to book tickets costing £5 for children, aged 5 to 15, and £8 for adults which are available by calling English Heritage on 0870 333 1183.