Cops warn nuisance motorcyclists

editorial image
Have your say

NUISANCE motorcyclists in the Grangewood area could have their bikes seized if they are riding illegally or ignore warnings about their behaviour.

The Holmebrook and Rother Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team is targeting nuisance motorcyclists after complaints from residents and people using the land near the golf course at Walton.

Since the start of November police have received nine reports about people riding unsafely, on footpaths and causing a noise.

Police have stepped up patrols and have already issued a Section 59 warning to a man found riding a mini-moto in a reckless manner in the Langer Lane area.

A section 59 warning is given to people caught riding mini-motos or motorbikes illegally or in a manner which causes alarm or distress to others.

If the rider is caught riding that or any other vehicle illegally again during the next 12 months, the bike can be confiscated and crushed.

Motorbikes and mini-motos need to be registered, taxed, insured, have an up-to-date MOT, and the rider should have a valid licence, before they can be legally taken onto public land.

To drive on private land, riders must have prior permission from the land owner.

PCSO Zoe Blount of the Holmebrook and Rother Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “We’ve received a few complaints from members of the community about motorbikes being ridden recklessly in the Grangewood area and we will increase patrols to advise riders and give out warnings.

“With Christmas coming up I would also strongly urge parents to think carefully before buying their youngster one of these bikes; consider their safety and also whether you can meet all the legal requirements.”

PCSO Blount added: “We take all reports of nuisance behaviour seriously and officers will always take appropriate action to target those who ride them illegally or without consideration for other members of the community.”

To contact the Holmebrook and Rother Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team call 101, the non-emergency number for Derbyshire police, or email