COAL ASTON: Mum urges parents to learn vital skills

editorial image
0
Have your say

A miracle mum has urged parents to learn first aid skills after she saved the life of her little boy.

Claire Gascoyne saved her five-year-old son, Thomas, from choking on a crisp – just a day after completing a St John Ambulance first aid course.

Now Claire, of Coal Aston, is backing a campaign by the leading charity which has revealed shocking new research showing that over half of parents in the East Midlands lack the skills necessary to save their child in the event of a life-threatening accident.

When Thomas started choking on the Dorito two years ago, Claire immediately sprang into action.

She placed her youngster over her knee and delivered two back blows to clear the obstruction.

Claire, 39, said: “I am so glad that I had done the first aid course and that I knew what to do – without it the situation could have ended very differently.

“I would recommend everyone to learn first aid – it really can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved.”

To raise awareness and encourage more people to learn basic first aid skills, St John Ambulance has launched a powerful new TV advert.

Log on to www.sja.org.uk to watch the film and find out more about the charity.

Residents in Chesterfield can learn vital first aid skills at Vicar Lane Shopping Centre on Saturday from 9am until 5.30pm.