DERBYSHIRE Times’ Twitter following erupted furiously last night after a national newspaper sullied Chesterfield’s image.
In an article waxing lyrical about the wonders of Sheffield, high on the list of reasons why the Steel City is so great was ‘because it’s not Chesterfield’.
It adds: “Sorry Chesterfield, you know what we’re talking about.”
Well it seems Cestrefeldians do NOT know what Metro is talking about, nor the so-called Top 10 happiest cities in the UK survey – http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/30/top-10-reasons-why-sheffield-is-the-happiest-city-in-the-uk-3820295/
After hours of gesticulating and defending Chesterfield, Twitter followers decided to co-ordinate the fightback with #lovechesterfield.
And Derbyshire Times Editor James Mitchinson said he was determined to lead the charge.
He said: “There are a lot of people working all hours God sends in Chesterfield to provide a bustling and thriving market town for the people of the borough to enjoy.”
“A spiteful and thoughtless sideswipe like this, if left unchallenged, can do real damage to a town’s reputation. Well I refuse to let this go unchallenged.”
Mitchinson was quick to reference Chesterfield’s retail offering, which was confirmed recently by an independent report showing retail unit vacancy rates in the town were way below the national average. http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/chesterfield-is-top-of-the-shops-1-4894804
Joining in the battle was Chesterfield Borough Council, which quickly released its own ‘Top 10’ list - only this time it was reasons for Chesterfield to be cheerful:
1. Home of the world-famous Crooked Spire at St Mary and All Saints’ Church
2. Chesterfield has been home to the market for more than 800 years
3. Chesterfield Borough Council is investing £3.6million to refurbish the Victorian Market Hall
4. A high street with successful local shops
5. The Pomegranate Theatre is the oldest civic theatre in the country
6. The Winding Wheel’s programme includes west end show such as Joseph, Blood Brothers and Dreamboats and Petticoats
7. The town has recently won two prestigious awards from tourist bodies for our facilities for coach parties
8. Award-winning parks and local spaces including Queen’s Park, Holmebrook Valley Park and Poolsbrook Country Park
9. National cricket on offer at Queen’s Park
10. Low-cost mortgage scheme with Lloyds TSB for first time buyers.
Now we need YOU to get behind #lovechesterfield. Every tweet you send today should carry the hashtag. We’d also like you to write to the Editor to help paint a true picture of Chesterfield in next week’s Derbyshire Times. We will then ensure the Metro Editor sees exactly why Chesterfield IS a great place to live and work. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org